Jan 17, 2010

Le Silence de Lorna aka Lorna's Silence

Another foreign flick because I love watching them. This particular movie had high reviews from Netflix users who are supposedly similar to me. How accurate does it come? Well, it's hard to say but lately I think they have been completely off.

I had high expectations of this movie. It had great acting, an interesting storyline (at least by the trailer), and great reviews from the netflix community. Quite honestly it starts off interesting with our main character Lorna talking to Claudy the drug addict she married for money. As the story goes she starts to become more attracted with him. For me I never saw the connection of why they were physically or sexually attracted to each other. He seemed to be an annoyance to her most of the time.

Even if you give that part of the story the benefit of the doubt, the ending is awful. It is there, but a few questions remain unanswered for me. Why does she think she is pregnant when the hospital tells her the results are negative? Then why does she lose her common sense in the end? I don't think the director intends her to become insane at the end, but that is almost the only thing you can conclude base on her actions. I expected the story to go a bit further, but just like some other French movies I have seen, it seems like they end the movie as soon as they run out of funds. Does the whole story make sense? It doesn't matter...The End


Lorna's Silence (2008) Movie Trailer - Click here for funny video clips

Netflix summary:

While saving up to open her own snack bar in the Belgian city of Liège, Albanian immigrant Lorna (Arta Dobroshi) is given a shot at citizenship when local mobster Fabio (Fabrizio Rongione) arranges a sham marriage to drug addict Claudy (Jérémie Renier). But when Fabio plots to kill Claudy, Lorna gets dragged into the mobster's sordid plan in this gripping drama from the acclaimed Belgian directors Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne.

No comments: