Jan 23, 2010

Big Fan

You may have noticed I watch a lot of movies of all sorts. I especially like foreign and independent movies. They usually have awards from Sundance or some other indie movie recognition.

This movie Big Fan actually did well at Sundance and most of the user reviews were extremely positive. The characters were well developed, the story line is complete from beginning to end, and there are a couple of actors I recognized.

So, I should have liked this movie. The problem is I didn't like this movie at all despite those reasons. In most movies there is a character in it that you like. Sometimes, it is the hero, the underdog, or a person who you can relate to. This movie had no one that was likable. Kind of hard to believe, but there it is. I lost interest because everyone was depicted as a loser, hater, or just unhappy.

It is difficult to watch those types of movies where everyone sucks. There is nothing in the story that redeems anyone. Would I recommend this movie? I would say hell no, not because it was bad, but it just wasn't entertaining to me. This was suppose to be a comedy or black comedy, but honestly I found very little to laugh at.

On a side note Patton Oswalt is the voice of Ratatouille which you will enjoy much more than this movie.









Netflix summary:

Parking attendant and New York Giants fanatic Paul Aufiero (Patton Oswalt) must reexamine his life after he's beaten up by his favorite player in this comedy written and directed by Robert D. Siegel, a former editor-in-chief of "fake news" paper The Onion. Also starring Kevin Corrigan as Sal, Michael Rapaport as Philadelphia Phil and Marcia Jean Kurtz as Theresa, the film was nominated for the Grand Jury Prize at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival.

No comments: