Feb 9, 2010

Inglourious Basterds - 2010 Academy Award®: Best Picture nominee

I think Quentin Tarantino makes good enjoyable movies like Kill Bill 1 & 2, and the Grindhouse Death Proof. There is almost a formula that he uses to make these movies fun and funny to watch. I think he incorporates it this movie too, but for some reason it falls a bit short.

He has a great cast, interesting plot, but somewhere in there I just felt it didn't deliver on the fun or humor. I can't really say why. Maybe I expected more because of his previous films and big actors. This movie was just ok to me. Not good or bad, but definitely watchable.

I am very surprised it got a few Oscar nods and would even be more surprised if it won best picture. There are just better nominated movies out there.


2010 Academy Award®: Best Director nominee: Quentin Tarantino
2010 Academy Award®: Best Picture nominee
2010 Academy Award®: Best Supporting Actor nominee: Christoph Waltz


The beginning of this movie was extremely slow, but it does build the German character up. Just too much time (15 - 20 minutes) was wasted in this scene. I do think it bothered me a little bit that they take a real figure (Hitler) in history and insert it in this storyline. You might like it or hate it. For me, I was a bit disappointed in a movie I really wanted to like.






Netflix Summary:

A Jewish cinema owner (Mélanie Laurent) in occupied Paris is forced to host a Nazi movie premiere, where a radical group of American Jewish soldiers called the Basterds, led by Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt), plans to roll out a score-settling scheme. The face-off is about to go down -- that's if Col. Hans Landa aka "The Jew Hunter" (Christoph Waltz, in a Golden Globe-winning role) doesn't get in the way. Quentin Tarantino directs this World War II-set spaghetti Western.

No comments: